The Psychology (5N0754) minor QQI award aims to introduce learners to psychology as a science, psychological perspectives in everyday life as well as an introduction to psychological disorders. On completion the learner will have a general understanding as well as the knowledge, skills, and capacity to understand psychological processes and a deeper better understanding of psychology and how it relates to themselves and others in a range of contexts. Topics covered include;
- Explain the main features, characteristics, core principles and concepts of two of the major psychological perspectives
- Identify the main therapies, interventions, practical and ethical boundaries of each psychological perspective within care and other settings
- Explain how each perspective contributes to an understanding of individual and group behaviour
- Gain an understanding of the research methods and ethical issues involved in the study of psychology
- Apply theory and research to work practice with due regards for ethics
- Examine the nature of attitudes and beliefs
- Apply skills/knowledge to typical work-based problems.