The Word Processing (5N1358) minor award programme aims to equip the learner with the knowledge, skills and competence to use a word processing application to produce documents in a variety of contexts to high standard whilst working autonomously and under general direction. It is intended that the learner will be trained and encouraged to develop thought processes which will allow them to disseminate a task into component tasks and develop the resourcefulness to be able to undertake the tasks. Areas to be covered include:
- Describe a typical word processing application in terms of common uses and features including – text manipulation, document formatting, graphics, tabs, tables, mail merge and label printing.
- Identify frequently used toolbar icons and related functions associated with file handling and text formatting.
- Create documents applying a range of text processing features including – margins and line spacing, indenting text and paragraphs, borders, and shading, numbering and bullets, copying and pasting text, enhancing text.
- Perform initial document configuration using page setup features to include – headers and footers, page numbering, paper size and orientation.
- Use a range of proofing tools including – spell check, thesaurus, search and replace.
- Apply file management facilities, including – creating files and folders, saving files in different formats, copying files and folders, renaming files, accessing file details, finding files using search facility.
- Apply a range of table features including – creating tables, resizing, merging cells, inserting, or deleting columns and rows, aligning text, applying borders and shading to tables and sorting table content.
- Create mail merge and labels.
- Use markup capabilities to make track changes to documents.
- Produce a range of different types of documents using common word processing features including – manual text formatting, applying styles, creating tables, inserting, and manipulating graphics.
- Print mailable documents and labels using a range of print features, to include – print preview, single and multiple copies, printing specific pages, selecting parameters and adjusting the appearance and positioning of text and graphics.
- Use a word processing application to create a file from a document template by performing all required steps including creating and storing the template, entering data, and printing and storing the file appropriately for subsequent retrieval.
- Improve personal performance by using additional resources such as the help facility to solve familiar and unfamiliar word processing problems.
There are no reviews yet.